Tuesday 13 September 2011

Stop Wasting Time!

I really need to stop wasting my time on this magic blog. If becoming a truly excellent magician was really such an easy thing for us to do, I'm sure that I'd have done something about it a long time ago.

If I was a great magic performer, I wouldn't be sat at this keyboard, in all honesty: I'd probably be out at some fashionable a nightclub, surrounded by dozens of hot babes and young celebrities, performing dazzling magic and having drinks bought for me all night. If it were that simple, that is what we would all be doing, right?

Because that, my friends, is the ultimate dream. Crafting the best, most entertaining performance you can, and then reaping the benefits of that 
endeavour. Lord knows I'm not there yet. I'm writing a blog, FFS.


The Start of This Blog
It is time that I directed all of my efforts towards becoming a performer who is truly something special. I want to be able to go up to someone, and show them the greatest thing they've ever seen.


There, I said it.

So What Holds You Back?
Let's look at myself, as a performer. I think that my sleight of hand is very good, certainly good enough. Layman wouldn't know what hit 'em. Yet whatever the case, I'm sure that there have been far better performers with far less robust sleight of hand than myself. Why am I not scaling those heights?


The problem is that, secretly, I'm just a regular guy. I lack enough performance experience to be able to deliver what I deem a consistent level of performance. I have been known to get nervous, even flub moves occasionally. I'm just no pro.

So what do I actually need to develop in order to truly deliver an effective performance? I'd say what I'm missing is very simple:

  • the ability to confidently and engagingly present the trick to the audience.
  • a lack of dead time in the performance, a general leanness to the whole presentation
  • be able to give the effect enough clarity so that the magic is actually experienced
  • an avenue through which these things can be extensively practised.
  • the necessary conviction to step out of my comfort zone and properly try this stuff
In other words, the stuff which you can't learn off a DVD! Haha. It wouldn't be so funny if it weren't so true. But seriously, how can a guy like myself develop all these skills. Hell, CAN a guy like me develop these skills. Answers please.


So how can I learn this new set of skills? I think that the answer simply has to be through performance. Anything else is chump-talk. In the practice room, you only learn half of what it takes to be a magician. It's out in the real world where you learn the other 50%.

I need to stop wasting my time. I need to get out there. I need to start this blog!