Thursday 8 September 2011

So this is the start of the new magic blog!

Hi, I'm an amateur close-up magician, aged 23. I thought long and hard about whether or not to put a picture or not. I've just got one of those faces which needs to be shot from a discerning angle in order to actually look like a normal person. Anyway, here's a deliberate, well chosen picture of me:

As you can see, even though I've tried to show a picture of me looking friendly and approachable, I still somehow haven't quite managed it.  I've been doing magic for 7 years now and I feel that, more or less, I'm like the vast majority of magicians. I love magic, as much as you. More, in fact. 

But I'm still pretty much an enthusiast. I've got a lot of great books stashed away on the shelf, and I know an absolute load of tricks. Yet for 7 years now I've been playing round with these magic tricks. Seven Years. I'm getting to the stage now where I'd better be bloody good. I owe it to myself. We owe it to OURSELVES.

Am I not right on this one? Of course I'm right. So I need to look in the mirror, and ask what I can do to improve? I need to be pragmatic, need to do whatever is necessary to deliver a better magic performance. We'll see how it goes :)

Tom Williams

P.S. I hope there are a few hobbyist magicians who can relate to this feeling. I have a hunch this yearning, this passion, is very common.