Sunday 18 September 2011

Best of Youtube: Magic Edition

So I decided that I would put together some of the best YouTube magic videos on the web. Now, I've watched a lot of YouTube, and I decided to show what I reckon are some of the greatest magicians who out there today. In a world where it's so easy to be mediocre, you really have to give credit to those truly superb magicians who are out there. Anyway, here's the list:

Whit Haydn



I can't say how good I think this guy is. I've posted one of my favourite routines here, but he has a range of effects which are equally polished and equally effective. One thing which I find interesting about Whit's approach to magic is that he has spent years and years with one repertoire. He has then used this one consistent repertoire to grow as a performer. I think that is a hugely inspiring thing to do.


Al Schneider



If you can turn your head away from his public meltdown on The Magic Cafe, you'll know that Al Schneider is a man who produces some incredibly deceptive magic. Every trick of his has a wonderful method, with real economy of motion. And his book Schneider on Coins is still one of my top magic books ever.

Dani DaOrtiz

I just watched this again, and this guy is just simply unbelievably great at card magic. If only he spoke English, I'd know what he was saying. Although, can you imagine if he spoke English? Wouldn't it be great if it turned out that his patter is seriously awful? Some total crap like "this card represents star-crossed lovers, and the rest of these are merely grains of sand along the beach"? Wouldn't that be f***ing hilarious?

Although now I come to think of it, that line about grains of sand was pretty fantastic.

Derren Brown



Derren is surely the best of the mainstream magicians out there. This early video shows what us what it's all about in terms of connecting with an audience, how to own a performance, as well as how to have command and authority as a magician. Although, don't watch his new show, Derren Brown Investigates. Derren really struggles as a presenter, it just seems like Derren and his production crew set out to make some poor misguided guy look bad on TV. And the ending, don't get me started on the ending. The worst TV show I've seen this year.

He's good at magic though.