Saturday 17 September 2011

The REAL Magic Way

This is not about the Juan Tamariz book, sorry. This is much more simple than all of that. This post is about the real foundation of my magic, of your magic. I'm going to summarise what this whole site is about, right here. Because it's important. It's a lot to cram in, so I hope I can put it all into words :)

Let me put this into some bullet points:
  1. You have one shot in life, one opportunity, to be the best you can be. Because of this, we owe it to ourselves to actually try our very hardest to be able to give as good a magic performance as we possibly can.
  2. We study sleights and moves, we buy books, DVDs, everything, we build gimmicks, we buy gimmicks, yet none of these things are actually concerned with the one fundamental question: What can I do to deliver a better performance for the audience?
  3. Because let us not forget that THIS is the goal. That is the reason we're all here, right?
  4. The reason why we do not focus upon this important issue, and instead push it to the sidelines, is because this stuff inherently involves performance. In front of laymen. Understandably, after a while it can be hard for an amateur magician to find new audiences (myself included, to be honest).
  5. Because you have expended your friends and family, it becomes harder to find fresh opportunities to perform. Because, let's face it, approaching people you've never met with the sole intention of showing them your magic is quite odd. I'll be the first to admit that I feel like a total asshole whenever I go up to two random people on a park bench and ask them if they 'want to see a card trick'.
  6. Of course, that type of thing can work. However it takes a certain type of person in order to make something like that work. 
  7. I'm not that type of person. No way. And you know, I don't think that you are, not really. If you were, then you wouldn't be reading magic blogs, you would be out in a bar, doing amazing magic and having glasses of champagne bought for you.
  8. This stuff isn't easy. I reckon that there must be thousands of magicians out there who feel the same. 
  9. But I've said it before, and I'll say it again: when it comes down to it, we owe it to ourselves to actually try our very hardest to become the best performer that we can possibly be. 
Suppose that I do, starting from today, truly apply myself? Cut out all the crap which gets in the way, and really give this thing a shot.

Why have I not done this before? I actually think that doing this is a win/win situation. Even if it goes bad, I'm sure that I will learn so much. It is our struggles which make us who we are. Although, if I have as much dedication to this as I have to my sleight of hand, I'm sure I'll improve my skills. I just cannot let my own apprehension/laziness stop me from doing this. This to myself. I owe myself to at least try.

This is the way, right?